Friday, June 10, 2011

Graduation


So today was our last day of lecture and we were on the upper campus. Unfortunately I was hoping to buy both my aunt and myself some University of Cape Town apparel but the store was closed. Either way today was a big day. We got to see all of the students that were graduating and took our family photo on the steps just like we did with our first family photo. We also all got a little teary eyed when we were wrapping things up with Alan and Jane, saying how much we appreciated everything they have done for us on this trip. Everyone’s health also seems to have greatly improved and I can’t say enough how lucky and thankful we have been for the amazing weather! I’m really going to miss getting to see and take pictures of the mountain everyday, and I can’t wait to hear all of the quotes from Brian that he has accumulated over the trip.

It was after lecture when we headed off to the mall which I somewhat compare to MOA. It was here where Suzie, Riise and I went to build a bear and made a springbok. They made us do all the same things kids did, and then they also made us scream I love my springbok out loud, and take the pledge that my build a bear will be my best friend for life. A bit much since the day before when Cat made hers she didn’t have to do all of that. Nonetheless it was really fun and you can’t get a springbok anywhere but Africa.

After the mall we went to the Rainbow house. It’s the house that Alison has that I blogged about way back on the second or third day. It was so great getting to take time out and play with kids. I fell in love with one named Lulu and they were trying to convince me for a while that I needed to take her home, but she also has a twin brother and I told them I just don’t have the finances to take two kids let alone one. Really they are perfect because since they are afraid of dogs I would never have to worry about them asking me for one, with my own fear of dogs. She was so precious and would just stare up at you with big eyes and a huge smile. I think the reason why I fell in love with her and her brother is because they both are afraid of dogs.

My time is slowly dwindling down here in Cape Town, and I really don’t want to leave. If only my brother could have his ceremony here. Since so little time is left I have to make the best of it. Tomorrow I’m going shark diving and packing and sometime before we leave I’m hoping to get back to Long Street. They have these animals that people make out of old used soda cans. They are really neat. Luckily on this trip I’ve stayed under my budget.